[Ubuntu-BD] FOSS & Ubuntu in Bangladesh

Mohammad Mukhtaruzzaman jewel98 at gmail.com
Mon May 16 05:38:11 UTC 2011

On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 11:22 AM, Nasimul Haque <nasim.haque at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 16 May 2011 09:40, Shumon <shumon.jahan at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Shahriar, I understood what Nasim meant. How about a slightly different
> > strategy to converting overnight or even all my old files? How about I
> keep
> > my old .doc files as is and simply keep on creating new .doc or .odt
> files
> > using OpenOffice?
>
> This is completely impractical. The old documents are not kept for
> eating your hard disks only. You need to open them, update them, etc.
> from time to time. If you need a proprietary software for using your
> old documents, then it is easier to continue using the proprietary
> software to create new documents. People do not use multiple tools for
> the same job. They stick to the simplest one possible.

No, I think it is practical if easily adoptable. Any document created with
MS Office can be open with OpenOffice. So, using OpenOffice old doc file can
be open, edit, update; no problem, MS Office no longer required. And any new
file can be created using OpenOffice. If OpenOffice can't open MS Office
docs then You can say it. But, if you look, File created with Office7 (docx,
xlsx etc) can't open with previous Office but OpenOffice can open them. So,
OpenOffice can be better option.

---
Mohammad Mukhtaruzzaman (Jewel)