[Ubuntu-BD] FOSS & Ubuntu in Bangladesh

M. Adnan Quaium adnan.quaium at linux.org.bd
Mon May 16 04:53:00 UTC 2011

Dear Shumon,

Everybody has their own opinion. Everyone is different so is their opinions.
So don't even think that your's is a dopey one. Feel free to suggest and/or
discuss about the community in the the community. We do have a real warm
heart. :)

First of all, I am sorry that I misinterpreted "the GUI of XP". As I
mentioned in my earlier post, if anyone wants a GUI closer to XP or Windows,
he/she can use Kubuntu ( http://www.kubuntu.org/ ). The learning curve of
Kubuntu should be more gradual than Ubuntu as Kubuntu has a look n' feel of
Windows. So your idea of 'closeness to Windows' is already out there.

About 'Wubuntu', have you heard of "Lindows"? It was an linux based OS which
has been sued by Microsoft for violating the name/trademark (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_v._Lindows ). So it is really not a
good idea. Nevertheless, there is already Kubuntu, so we do not need a new
name/branding.

I totally agree with your saying - "Most people change for practical
reasons, not philosophical". I personally like Ubuntu for its stability,
user friendliness, ease of use, cool effects etc. These are the practical
reasons for me which I don't find in Windows. I like the idea of FOSS, but
that doesn't mean I am a die hard fan of FOSS philosophy. (By the way we are
Ubuntu Local Community, please don't conflate this with FOSS community) If
Canonical put a price on Ubuntu, I'll continue to use Ubuntu by buying it as
long as I can afford it. (If I can't afford it I have no way to use it,
right!) But I don't feel the same for Windows. What I want to say is - I
like Ubuntu for it's practical reasons not for the philosophical reasons,
also I don't like Windows for it's practical reasons not for its
philosophical reasons. When I promote Ubuntu to someone, I don't bother to
explicate the FOSS philosophy. I simply show them Ubuntu from the live CD
and show them the vantage points of using Ubuntu. In my experience, this
process really works well. Whoever thinks that, GUI is a practical reason, I
simply refer them Kubuntu and they are happy about that.

About the websites, we've already started to work and hopefully within a few
weeks they will be back again.

--
M. Adnan Quaium