[Ubuntu-BD] OFF TOPIC: Using other's article as reference.

Shahriar Tariq shahriar at linux.org.bd
Fri Apr 29 06:48:28 UTC 2011

OFF TOPIC

২৯ এপ্রিল, ২০১১ ১২:২৮ pm এ তে, Md Ashickur Rahman Noor <
ashickur.noor at gmail.com> লিখেছে:

> 2011/4/29 Junayeed Ahnaf Nirjhor <zombiegenerator at gmail.com>
>

> > Hello,
> >
> > Brother Noor, Why did you DIRECTLY copy pasted my post from
> Projanmo/Ronglmohol >(http://forum.projanmo.com/topic24972.html) to your
> Linux Desh forum (Just removing the wikipedia link) regarding >RJ bro (
> > http://forums.linuxdesh.com/thread-158.html) ?
> >
> > Is it Ethical, Let alone Legal?
> >

> > I DEMAND a clear explanation of not attributing my real post while you
> copy
> > pasted it. Don't you have the time/creativity to write 4 lines? If not,
> > better stay AWAY from stealing other people's stuff.
> >

> > Hope you'd reply.
> >

> > zoMbie
> > --

> Sorry I forgot to mention the link of projanma forum If it is yours. By the
> way what is the topic.
>
> Sorry I can not browse, I am on mobile and I can not login from mobile.
>
> Thnkx.
>
> Please don't mail off topic.
> Dedicated Linux Forum in
> Bangladesh<
> http://forums.linuxdesh.com/member.php?action=register&referrer=3%20>
> Follow Me Twiter <https://twitter.com/#%21/AshickunNoor>
> Thank you
> Md Ashickur Rahman
> Mail me: ashickurnoor at acm.org

Dear team,
If you are using someone else article as a reference
1) Check the license, most open source related articles are licensed under
open license (such as Creative commons)
2) if the article is not licensed it won't hurt to politly ask the author
whether you can use it. most author won't mind giving permission since they
wrote it to let people know the content in the first place
3) be sure to give due credit to the original author. If you are not aware
who is the author at least mention where you have collected the article

If you find that someone else is using your article without proper credit
1) don't jump on and attack the person, keep your tone checked all the time,
if you start heated argument its more probable other person is also gonna
reply angrily
2) It may be the case that the person who is using your article without
credit are actually not aware of licensing issue. Its not uncommon in
Bangladesh, most people don't understand piracy then how come they will
understand licensing issue? Make him/her understand licensing issue
3) if reminding them properly does not work then take it up to the concerned
team, in case of forum talk to the moderators, in case of community website,
the owner is the person you need to talk to, if its personal blog take it up
to the hosting company (given they are reputed hosting company).

simple solution is not it?
--
Thanking you
Shahriar Tariq

Founding Member, Amigos Clothing
http://amigosclothing.com

Personal Blog
http://www.ashabadi.com/

Volunteer, Bangladesh Linux Users Alliance
http://linux.org.bd check our forum: http://forum.linux.org.bd

Team Contact, Ubuntu Bangladesh http://www.ubuntu-bd.org/

Endorsement:
আমাদের প্রযুক্তি ফোরাম http://forum.amaderprojukti.com/