[Ubuntu-BD] Could not install msttcorefonts

Jamal Uddin Khan ml.jamal919 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 16 14:20:07 GMT 2010

Junayeed Ahnaf Nirjhor wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've heard recently sourceforge changed their server. But I believe Ubuntu
> (Or Mint) is trying to downloading from the old server. Which is why I
> could not install msttcorefonts package. I'm in a goal to heavily tweak
> wine in order to run many windows app in it. But I'm stuck at the
> beginning due to this obnoxious problem. Here's my command line output:
>

> nirjhor at nirjhor-desktop ~ $ sudo apt-get install msttcorefonts
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> Note, selecting ttf-mscorefonts-installer instead of msttcorefonts
> ttf-mscorefonts-installer is already the newest version.
> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 4 not upgraded.
> 1 not fully installed or removed.
> After this operation, 0B of additional disk space will be used.
> Setting up ttf-mscorefonts-installer (3.0) ...
>
> These fonts were provided by Microsoft "in the interest of cross-
> platform compatibility".  This is no longer the case, but they are
> still available from third parties.
>
> You are free to download these fonts and use them for your own use,
> but you may not redistribute them in modified form, including changes
> to the file name or packaging format.
>
> --2009-12-15 12:37:09--
> http://downloads.sourceforge.net/corefonts/andale32.exe
> Resolving downloads.sourceforge.net... 216.34.181.59
> Connecting to downloads.sourceforge.net|216.34.181.59|:80... connected.
> HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 302 Found
> Location:
> http://nchc.dl.sourceforge.net/project/corefonts/the%20fonts/final/andale32.exe
> [following]
> --2009-12-15 12:37:15--
> http://nchc.dl.sourceforge.net/project/corefonts/the%20fonts/final/andale32.exe
> Resolving nchc.dl.sourceforge.net... 211.79.60.17, 2001:e10:ffff:1f02::17
> Connecting to nchc.dl.sourceforge.net|211.79.60.17|:80... failed:
> Connection timed out.
>

> Goes on and on. Last few lines looks like this

>   ttf-mscorefonts-installer
>

> Any workaround or troubleshoot will highly be appreciated. Thanks for your
> kind concern.

You can use the offline ubuntu-restricted-extras installer from here :

8.10:
Direct Link http://www.zshare.net/download/58154243c664b105/ <view-source:http://www.zshare.net/download/58154243c664b105/>
Torrent http://www.mininova.org/tor/2450336 <view-source:http://www.mininova.org/tor/2450336>

9.04
Direct Link http://www.zshare.net/download/59368408526cd812/ <view-source:http://www.zshare.net/download/59368408526cd812/>
Torrent http://www.mininova.org/tor/2540622 <view-source:http://www.mininova.org/tor/2540622>

9.10
Rapidshare Link http://rapidshare.com/files/305466863/Ubuntu_restricted_extras_offline_installer_ubuntu_9.10.tar.gz <view-source:http://rapidshare.com/files/305466863/Ubuntu_restricted_extras_offline_installer_ubuntu_9.10.tar.gz>

http://www.somewhereinblog.net/blog/jamal919/29077307