[Ubuntu-BD] LXDE desktop and two problems that I have faced.

Saad M Niamatullah saadmniamatullah at gmail.com
Sun Nov 1 09:01:52 GMT 2009

On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 2:14 AM, Miah M. Hussainuzzaman
<mmhzaman at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Saad,
>
> Thank you for your suggestion. I shall try those when I get time for
> playing with it again. At this moment I am mailing you using lxde in my
> home desktop with ubuntu hardy without any pain (as mentioned before).
>
> But you see, in those jaunty machines, the network manager is already
> been installed with gnome, as I have mentioned ... when I log back to
> gnome it works perfectly. In those Jaunty machines, lxnm (network
> manager) was not installed from synaptic due to this reason. I have
> tried to install lxnm, but the installer said that it won't do it as it
> conflicts with the existing network manager.
>
> Unfortunately, these three machines in question are located in three
> different places. So, checking and comparing one with another is not
> very frequent/easy for me. Free time is very scarce for playing with
> these things lately.
>
> Even though I have been using ubuntu since version 6.10 RC, not being
> someone working with IT, I have not dared to experiment much with
> linux/ubuntu. Being content just being a user.
>
> Anyway, this asking was not just to enable me to enjoy lxde ... as those
> machines have enough resource to run the better GUI/DE (i.e. gnome). As
> Shabab mentioned, it is because lxde seemed a very promising desktop for
> thin clients(- better than xfce; and more stupid friendly than Puppy, I
> guess.). In my workplace, most of the machines (a few dozens) contain
> about 256 MB or RAM some of those are even shared by the graphics
> card ... only about 240 MB is left for the OS and the softwares. But as
> a senior member of the office I got a better PC with much better
> configuration (2GB RAM).
>
> One solution may be to try hardy with lxde in those machines ... but why
> should I defy the better versions (like jaunty, karmic koala etc) if
> there is a solution to that problem. I can readily suggest our network
> people to go with this solution to those thin machines.
>
> I shall let the community know the progress, when I can spend some time
> for that again (Apologies for any inconvenience).
>
> If anyone else have any experience with it, please share.
>

> Hey Shabab, cool down man!
>
> I proposed for a distro for the thin clients of typical Bangladeshi
> corporates with lightweight desktop managers, and the team working for
> bangla linux pick that idea. I really feel shy to claim that as my plan,
> because I am like Jobbor kaku in such technical matters... you know what
> I mean ;-)
>
> Best wishes.
>
> Shamim.
> (Miah M. Hussainuzzaman)
>

> --
> Ubuntu Bangladesh | http://ubuntu-bd.org

Thank you for your answer. It is very interesting to hear from you,
because I myself was planning to create a Linux distro, too, but with
a few basic architectural changes. In fact, I created a few custom lfs
(Linux from Scratch) distro's myself, in order to get familiar with
the low-level workings of a GNU/Linux system. Most of the linux
distro's available today are mostly the same, with only a few
differences between them, and I wanted to introduce a few ideas which
are currently floating around the Internet. In fact, if you are
serious about creating a Linux distribution customised for Bangladeshi
people, I think that I could help you with your project. Don't be
worried about not being an "IT person", because there is no rule that
only IT people can create their own distros. I myself do not have any
professional "IT" education. Again, if you are still interested to
create a custom Linux distribution, I think we should contact each
other off-list to discuss this subject.

As for you, Mr. Shabab Mustafa,
Chief Administrative Officer,
Admin Office,
CapsLock Corporates,

I don't know what provoked your outburst, but I don't see anything in
my post which has broken the Ubuntu Code of
Conduct(http://www.ubuntu.com/community/conduct). Of course, if you
disagree, you can point out which point I have broken and I will be
happy to apologize, both to you and Mr. Miah M. Hussainuzzaman. But
please remember that this mailing list is to _help_ people in
Bangladesh who use Ubuntu, and therefore it is better to keep personal
grudges and unrelated stuff off the list. I hope you don't take this
message offensively, or anything.

--
Saad M Niamatullah