[Ubuntu-BD] Daylight Savings - Time Zone patch in Ubuntu?

Ammar Karim ammar.lists at gmail.com
Fri Jun 19 12:48:30 BST 2009

Okay never mind... a bit of googling shows me this (from
http://www.mango.com.bd/bd-dst.php ) :-

*3.1.2 Ubuntu*

   - Update tzdata by using apt-get command

   # apt-get update
   # apt-get install tzdata

    At the time of writing this article (18-Jun-2009), Ubuntu has not yet
   published the required patch in the official update channel. But still
   proposed update can be installed from the related proposed update repository
   (e.g. hardy-proposed, intrepid-proposed, jaunty-proposed) of Ubuntu. Check
   out your distribution name like below:

   $ grep DISTRIB_CODENAME /etc/lsb-release
   DISTRIB_CODENAME=hardy

   And see Testing/Enable
Proposed<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/EnableProposed>for
documentation on how to enable and use -proposed. Now then install
   proposed tzdata package like this:

   sudo apt-get -t hardy-proposed update
   sudo apt-get -t hardy-proposed install tzdata

   *3.1.3 Check Timezone*

   # zdump -v /etc/localtime

   You should see something like this (minimum):

   Fri Jun 19 16:59:59 2009 UTC = Fri Jun 19 22:59:59 2009 BDT
isdst=0 gmtoff=21600
   Fri Jun 19 17:00:00 2009 UTC = Sat Jun 20 00:00:00 2009 BDST
isdst=1 gmtoff=25200

   Related information: Timezone change for
Bangladesh<https://bugs.launchpad.net/fedora/+source/tzdata/+bug/383444>