[Ubuntu-BD] video wallpaper with compiz

Nasimul Haque nasim.haque at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 11:25:09 BST 2009

Running video or any other program on the desktop is possible from day
one. In X server, desktop is just a window which has a special name:
root window. You can run any video with MPlayer by following command:

$ mplayer -rootwin -fs my_cool_video.avi

> actully this 1 works but not as i wanted as he mentioned  had to hide
> my desktop icons and worse thing cant see any opend window .all behind
> the animated video wall just can see top bottom panel. damm can get my
> desktop icons back using given command .

The problem with Gnome is that, nautilus already captures the desktop
window. Therefore you need to disable nautilus from desktop.

--
M. Nasimul Haque, M.Sc.(SUST)
Wessex Institute of Technology