[Ubuntu-BD] Cuba adopts Linux

Shahriar Tariq shahriar at linux.org.bd
Thu Feb 12 12:27:21 GMT 2009

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 5:59 PM, dark lord <darklord2007 at gmail.com> wrote:

> When we are offically adopting i mean our govt ;-)

Well I don't think it will be tough for the govt to move to OSS/FOSS. But it
will not get much appreciation from the so called "IT EXPERTS" of our
country. Then there will be always "End Users" who will be afraid of loosing
their job because they can't operate FOSS apps.

I found one nationally acclaimed "IT Expert" question the need of developing
"Unicode supported softwares" and Unicode Supported Keyboard Input system.
He argued that Unicode is not a standard and no other country uses it
anymore, we should continue with other "traditional methods" that have been
proved successful before.

Few other "IT Experts" put open source development will make our student
jobless, underpaid and will make our country poorer...

Then I found few "End Users" who say they want to use FOSS but they don't
use them because when they will be asked to use traditional proprietary
softwares (like windows/MS Office), they will not be able to operate those
apps. I could not convince them that the learning curve is really downwards,
if you really know what you want to do.

then there are other miss informations successfully implemented by FUD
marketing of MS, that windows/proprietary softwares are much more secured,
stable and user friendly... just look into the example from the news link
Nasim Bhai shared..... (I'm quoting)

Unlike Cuba, who fully understands the problems with proprietary operating
> systems, my employer, in their great wisdom, has decided to go to a fully
> Microsoft shop on our works computers, because, and I will quote the
> memo.....
>
> "Open source software cannot be used on *********'s computer systems as
>> anyone can alter the source code and place a virus inside.
>>
>> Windows Vista or XP should be used in place of Linux or Solaris on the
>> servers and all personal computers should be running Windows Vista.
>>
>> No-one across the floor should install any product without the approval of
>> the line manager."
>>

> The funny part was the anyone can stick a virus into the code, because
> anyone can view the code.
>
> I should point out that the person who sent out the memo is a newly
> appointed director, he came to us from PC World.

what can you say against these???
--
Thanking you
Shahriar