[Ubuntu-BD] Linus Torvalds Switched Back To Gnome

Nasimul Haque nasim.haque at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 12:31:08 GMT 2009

Distrowatch has an interview with Linus this week. I'm quoting the
relevant part for this thread here -

DW: Since Fedora has dropped support for KDE 3.x in recent times, what
desktop environment are you using now? Have you made the move to KDE
4.x, or dare I say it, GNOME? If so, how have you found the
transition?

LT: Since I'm on Fedora, I got hit by the (bad) transition to KDE4,
and as a result I've been using GNOME for the last year or so. It's
still somewhat painful, more so when I'm on my laptop, mainly for the
same old reason: you cannot fix the mouse buttons in GNOME. (The
reason this hits me more on the laptop than anywhere else is that most
laptops only have two buttons, making the middle-button press much
harder. And middle button is what you need for the 'send to back'
window action.)

I wrote the patch (including even the graphical configuration
management), I sent it in, and it got rejected as "too complicated for
users". Frickin' idiots (and I'm not talking about those alleged
users).

But right now, KDE is worse. I'd like to explore alternatives, but if
you've followed my answers this far and are perceptive, you'll
probably already have figured out that the programs involved aren't on
my list of things I care about that much.

I'm well known for disliking GNOME, but it's not the "using it" part
that I dislike as much as the apparent mentality of the GNOME people
who think that all users are idiots and then limit what I can do with
it for that reason.

See the difference?

So I'll use whatever works best on my machine and in my workflow, and
a window manager is not something I really care deeply about.

Full interview is here -

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20090202#feature

Enjoy!

--