[Ubuntu-BD] Problem while installing VLC

Sharmin Akter jui at 6zap.com
Mon Aug 31 05:18:19 BST 2009

Hello,
I recently installed Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty on my desktop. Previously I was linux mint user. While configuring my new system I added VLC 1.0.1 PPA in my sources.list file cause the default repo does not contain the latest version of VLC. but there comes the problem. Upon issuing the command "sudo apt-get install vlc" I am getting this following eror:

sharmin at sharmin-desktop:~$ sudo apt-get install vlc
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

  vlc: Depends: vlc-nox (= 1.0.1-1~ppa4) but it is not going to be installed
       Depends: libtar but it is not installable
E: Broken packages

I tried to google the solution but failed to understand what could be the keyword.

Now if anyone can solve this problem or give me the keyword to search in google, I will be greatful

N.B: I tried to install "libtar" but no package by this name exists.
-----
With best wishes-
Sharmin Akter Jui