[Ubuntu-BD] need suggestions about IDE

Lenin lenin at phpxperts.net
Mon Aug 10 16:43:56 BST 2009

On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 10:05 PM, Tarin Mahmood <mrlinux045 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello,
> There are many options for developing web applications. But you wont find
> any WYSIWYG IDE's like Dreamweaver. Personally I strongly dislike WYSIWYG
> IDEs as it creates ugly codes and adds too much bells and whistle. I always
> suggest others not to use these IDE's as it will stop you from learning the
> basics. If you say it saves time but in the long run it will certainly eat
> up your time.
>
> but there are many excellent editors to develop web applications on Linux.
> could have suggested VIM, which I use, but I'll not suggest it to someone
> with macromedia background at start :p
>
> almost all the Linux based editors support hi-lighting css, xhtml/html, js
> and php so if you write code by hand you can use any of them
>
> eclipse with php extenstion (requires java and a big download but is
> excellent for php development, use torrent to download)
> gedit (gnome)
> kate (kde, probably  supports auto completion)
> geany (excellent editor, supports auto completion)
> bluefish (slow but with many options, supports auto completion)
> cssed for working extensively with CSS supports auto completion
>
> now let me tell you about my favorite VIM, it has everything that other
> editors has and more. Its excellent but have a very steep learning curve.
> but give it some time, you'll hate working on other editors.
>

> Some small suggestions
> 1. install tidy a small terminal based application to beautify/verify your
> pure html/xhtml code
> 2. Never ever write inline CSS, EVER.
> 3. Don't use tables to design website, not even you are in hurry, Tables
> are
> for tabular display of data not for design. it slows page loading and bad
> for search engine optimizations.
> 4. install php-cli then you can use a makefile to find out syntax errors
> (helps a lot in VIM) php -l <file_name> to a file for finding syntax error
> 5. to do cross browser tests
> a. midori/chrome/konquerer for webkit browsers

For cross browser testing developers actually need to make sure their sites
work under  IE6 - IE8, Safari, Opera as well as FireFox etc.

> b. ies4linux internet explorer version 5-8
> c. www.browsershots.org any browser you want :p

Really nice suggestions. I have the plan to adopt vim soon. But currently I
am fan of NetBeans PDT 6.7
Its not available in the repo, so you'll have to go to the
www.netbeans.organd download the php specific version whith is 26MB

it will download a .sh file. You'll then make it executable and then run
like this:

sudo chmod 755 netbeans-6.7.sh

sudo ./netbeans-6.7.sh  et viola!