[Ubuntu-BD] need suggestions about IDE

Tarin Mahmood mrlinux045 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 16:05:37 BST 2009

Hello,
There are many options for developing web applications. But you wont find
any WYSIWYG IDE's like Dreamweaver. Personally I strongly dislike WYSIWYG
IDEs as it creates ugly codes and adds too much bells and whistle. I always
suggest others not to use these IDE's as it will stop you from learning the
basics. If you say it saves time but in the long run it will certainly eat
up your time.

but there are many excellent editors to develop web applications on Linux. I
could have suggested VIM, which I use, but I'll not suggest it to someone
with macromedia background at start :p

almost all the Linux based editors support hi-lighting css, xhtml/html, js
and php so if you write code by hand you can use any of them

eclipse with php extenstion (requires java and a big download but is
excellent for php development, use torrent to download)
gedit (gnome)
kate (kde, probably  supports auto completion)
geany (excellent editor, supports auto completion)
bluefish (slow but with many options, supports auto completion)
cssed for working extensively with CSS supports auto completion

now let me tell you about my favorite VIM, it has everything that other
editors has and more. Its excellent but have a very steep learning curve.
but give it some time, you'll hate working on other editors.

Some small suggestions
1. install tidy a small terminal based application to beautify/verify your
pure html/xhtml code
2. Never ever write inline CSS, EVER.
3. Don't use tables to design website, not even you are in hurry, Tables are
for tabular display of data not for design. it slows page loading and bad
for search engine optimizations.
4. install php-cli then you can use a makefile to find out syntax errors
(helps a lot in VIM) php -l <file_name> to a file for finding syntax error
5. to do cross browser tests
a. midori/chrome/konquerer for webkit browsers
b. ies4linux internet explorer version 5-8
c. www.browsershots.org any browser you want :p

regards
Mahmood