[Ubuntu-BD] remove unneeded file

Shahiduzzaman shahid21st at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 03:30:21 GMT 2008

Hi,

I think the most of the files in the /tmp will be automatically
cleared next time you boot Ubuntu. You don't need to directly delete
/var/cache/apt/archives. There are few useful commands which are safe.
I listed those below with description from the corresponding man page
-

apt-get clean:

clean clears out the local repository of retrieved package files. It
removes everything but the lock file from /var/cache/apt/archives/ and
/var/cache/apt/archives/partial/. When APT is used as a dselect(8)
method, clean is run automatically. Those who do not use dselect will
likely want to run apt-get clean from time to time to free up disk
space.

apt-get autoclean:

Like clean, autoclean clears out the local repository of retrieved
package files. The difference is that it only removes package files
that can no longer be downloaded, and are largely useless. This allows
a cache to be maintained over a long period without it growing out of
control. The configuration option APT::Clean-Installed will prevent
installed packages from being erased if it is set to off.

apt-get autoremove:

autoremove is used to remove packages that were automatically
installed to satisfy dependencies for some package and that are no
more needed.

You need to be root user (or sudo user) to run these commands from the shell.

Shahid