[ Ubuntu-BD ] home networking

Nasimul Haque nasim.haque at gmail.com
Mon May 26 13:21:42 BST 2008

By default, firewall is turned off in Ubuntu. But at the moment you
installed Firestarter, you've enabled the firewall. So, you need open
up the ports manually in the Firestarter. In the Policy tab of
Firestarter right click in the Allow service and Add rule.

To share files you need a user account to the remote Linux.

Nasim

On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 12:06 AM, Sameeul ` Bashir <sameeul at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 4:44 AM, Sameeul ` Bashir <sameeul at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> hi there!
>> i hav just managed my 3 other roommates to switch to ubuntu from
>> windows.everything is now fine but got one prob.
>> all 4 pc in the room are networked ( star connected) . i did the network
>> settings ( manual configuration), we can ping each other but cant browse the
>> network or cant share any files!
>>
>> hape anybody can help!
>>
>> thanks in advance
>>
>> Sameeul Bashir
>

> one more thing!
>
> i installed firestarter to share internet connection and did the same as omi
> vai mentioned in his blog. but it only works when i kepp running firestarter
> and aslo make the firewall disable.
> after some period firestarter seems to automatically turn on and my browser
> losses conection.
>
> Sameeul Bashir

M. Nasimul Haque, M.Sc.(SUST)
Wessex Institute of Technology