[ Ubuntu-BD ] How to write Program for Linux ?

Masum Masum a.h.m.masum at gmail.com
Thu May 15 18:30:21 BST 2008

Dear Friends
Thanx a lot for your thoughtful replies. Thing is that I've started this
thread mainly to encourage people who are not really a computer-pro. I
wanted to have an Idea as one of those who has the interest to create
something new with their creative Ideas without going through all those
coding and header files. I know C is the Boss of all programming, Java is
also very versetile but thing is that, these languages are comfortable when
you really have a solid base on it. I mean a CSE student or a computer
professional. But I want to encourage others who want to contribute as a
hobby not as a die hard professional.  Like I have no
educational/Organizational background on Programming. I am just a user. But
seenig these wonderful creations I also feel the interest of creating
something but again dont want to go through all those deeper studies on any
language. You know initially LINUX was known as "For Geeks by the Geeks."
and normal users where not even botherd to know abour it. But now it has
become "Software for Human". So, Now I feel if I try I can create something
(May not be a very solid or a very complex thing.) Thatswhy I was looking
for some sort of OOP (if you noticed I've mentioned VB). I've found GAMBAS
have pretty nice interface in that aspect (though none of you mentioned it).
But I am not sure how deep it can go. Cause in VB with the help of API i
could easily use the DLL files. Even it is possible to write new DLL's even
via Delphi. Again windos structure was somehow easy cause all I need to do
after fixing the right Sub routines and functions give a compile command and
things are ready. But here I am a bit confused wat is QT or GTK or Gnome
,KDE.(As a newbie in LINUX).  Though C is best but i normally dont go for C
if I dont need to write anything dfor memory management. In fact I find in
windows environment most of the Calls can be done through API.May not be as
efficient as C. Again Java is verstile but it keep on changing too much I
tried JAVA long ago but afterfew years when I've started again I found lot
of libraries have changed. Personally I avoid JAVA cause even after
upgrading it keeps back the old libraries in the hard drive. I am not sure
why is that cause new libraries are suppose to be backwrd competible.
However between python and RUBY I've just found RUBY first and started to
give it a try and afterwards when I went for Python I've started mixing up
the syntaxs (I'm not that sharp to start learning two languages together)
May be I'll try it when I'll give up RUBY.
So guys plz suggest what is a good language for a newbie who does not really
have a very solid background. And dont want to have a kernel level
knowledge. OOps it has become too long. Sorry for being such a jerk and
writting so many things,