[ Ubuntu-BD ] Fedora 9 Gives Ubuntu a Run For Its Money

raihan hasnain raihanhasnain at gmail.com
Tue May 13 22:08:32 BST 2008

How could you know? First install both Fedora 9 and Ubuntu 8.04 try to use
theme side by side for few days ... and if possible try Mint 5 beta and
opensolaris 2008.5 as well... then talk.

I see you are "Fedora Ambassador for Bangladesh" meaning whatever I say
you'll hear blah blah blah. Still, for others I am sharing a piece of
information.

Fedora Project is a Open Source project of "famous" RED HAT. Officially
Fedora is the open source (of RED HAT) movement but in real it is the crash
test dummy of RED HAT. Whatever gets stable and widely accepted by the users
goes into Red Hat Enterprise Linux with fully non-free support. Yes Fedora
will always give you the taste of latest technology, as it includes all
latest, unstable and test versions together. Check out this feature-list
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/9/FeatureList ... aren't all the
features look shiny comparing to any other OS? Of course yes.

I am not biased to any Linux. I am more a fan of Linux Mint than Ubuntu ...
as it comes with all the features that a free OS can offer (with non-free
stuff). I personally promote Linux as an OS not any specific distro. Having
thousands of distributions it became a matter of choice for the users. They
must use whatever they like.

Now if you make a novice user to use a distro which has all latest stuff,
but is unstable in many ways. Do you expect the user to be happy? [Fedora
lovers would say: WHY NOT!, Debian lovers would say: WTF! ]

I have tried many distros (that inlcudes Red Hat 6, 7,  9, Fedora 2, 3 , 4,
5, 6, 7, 8) and trust me, Ubuntu felt most comfortable (well actually Mint
4.0, but it is entirely Ubuntu).