[ Ubuntu-BD ] Some questions

Nasimul Haque nasim.haque at gmail.com
Mon May 12 15:02:02 BST 2008

Are you sure, you have a linux version of MikTeX? I have never heard
of that. Maybe you are talking aboutf TeXLive, no? However, make sure
you have a linux version of any TeX distribution. Then install it.
Then in the command line try to run latex, pdflatex etc. If these
commands are found, then you do not have to configure anything. Kile
will find the latex. On the other hand, if the commands are not found,
which I assume very unlikely. Look for the folder where your latex
binary is installed. Let's say it's installed in the
/usr/local/texlive/bin folder. Then in your home folder open or create
a .bash_profile file. And add the following line -

export PATH=/usr/local/texlive/bin:$PATH

from now on, kile should find latex, bibtex, pdflatex etc. If not,
then you need to configure the kile itself. Goto Settings > Configure
Kile. In the Latex > General tab fill out the TEXINPUTS and others
with the name of the installed directory. There you have it. If it
still does not work. Try to install texlive from repository.

You do not need the whole texlive distribution. So installing kile
from the repository is enough. You can install your required latex
packages later. If you run

sudo apt-get install kile

you'll get an out of the box latex environment. And it's not very
large. This is the best way to use latex in Ubuntu. I'd recommend try
this. Just run it, before accepting to install you'll see how much
download is needed. You can decide then if you want to download and
install or not.

Nasim

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 2:11 PM, Hafiz Imtiaz <eee.imtiaz at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you Nasim Vai.
>
>  But TexLive is huge i guess. Because the CD that i have is around 650MB.
>  I have downloaded MikTeX for linux. How can i use it with kile?
>
>  That is, I want to install MikTeX first, then i want to install kile
>  from Synaptic. Is that possible?
>
>  Hafiz Imtiaz
>  0306005
>  EEE,BUET
>  Phone:- 01915698207
>
>  On Mon, 2008-05-12 at 13:45 +0100, Nasimul Haque wrote:
>  > For your latex problem. You need to install texlive from the
>  > repository. That way everything will be integrated. Kile is far more
>  > advanced than any other latex editor. There is another latex editor
>  > for the impatience, called LyX, which is a WYSIWYM editor. So, to get
>  > latex in your ubuntu, just run
>  >
>  > sudo apt-get install texlive
>  >
>  > or install it from the synaptic. Remember that windows and linux
>  > executables are not compatible. So you cannot run your TeXLive CD for
>  > windows in your linux OS.
>  >
>  > Nasim
>  >
>  > On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 4:25 AM, Hafiz Imtiaz <eee.imtiaz at gmail.com>
>  wrote:
>  > > Thank you vaia
>  > >  The menu disappearing problem with MATLAB is solved.
>  > >
>  > >  Thank you
>  > >
>  > >
>  > >  Hafiz Imtiaz
>  > >  0306005
>  > >  EEE,BUET
>  > >  Phone:- 01915698207
>  > >
>  > >
>  > >
>  > > On Mon, 2008-05-12 at 08:49 +0600, Tarin Mahmood wrote:
>  > >  > Let me clear something up for you,
>  > >  > GDM is Gnome Display Manager
>  > >  > Gnome is the Desktop Enviornment
>  > >  > Metacity is the Default Window manager for GDE
>  > >  > Compiz  is the 3D Window manager
>  > >  > Emerald is 3D window decorator
>  > >  >
>  > >  > You would want to install Fusion Icon and add it to startup, It
>  > >  > provides an easy way to access all the things related to Compiz.
>  > >  >
>  > >  > run the following command in terminal to install fusion icon
>  > >  > sudo apt-get install fusion-icon
>  > >  >
>  > >  > if you do not have emerald then add emerald at the end of that
>  line to
>  > >  > install it
>  > >  >
>  > >  > then add fusion icon to the startup, command is
>  > >  > fusion-icon
>  > >  >
>  > >  > and you know how to add it to startup ;)
>  > >  >
> [...]

M. Nasimul Haque, M.Sc.(SUST)
Wessex Institute of Technology
Southampton, UK