[ Ubuntu-BD ] ttyLinux Help needed

Nasimul Haque nasim.haque at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 12:27:11 BST 2008

On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 8:57 AM, Masum Masum <a.h.m.masum at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanx for the reply. But how to have a separate entry in GRUB to log
> on in command prompt. I mean like recovery mode there will be a
> separate choice to log in to command prompt and separate choice for
> GUI. Plz advice.

To add a new boot option to a GRUB boot menu you need to edit the file
/boot/grub/menu.lst

Open this file and look into the commands there. It is
well-documented. Set title, root, kernel, initrd options to your
desired values. Whenever you install a new Linux distro in a machine
where grub is already installed with another Linux distro, do not
install grub or lilo again. Instead boot into the previous
installation and edit the file mentioned above. If the previous distro
is ubuntu you can run "sudo update-grub" instead of manually editing
menu.lst file.

Of course, this only applies if you intend to keep your previous Linux
installation.

Nasim

--
M. Nasimul Haque, M.Sc.(SUST)