[Ubuntu-BD] Yahoo im with voice and video chat

Angel fedora at linux.org.bd
Tue Dec 9 17:05:08 GMT 2008

Gyach Enhanced used to support voice/video for yahoo since more than 2
years. But it is not maintained anymore, and wasn't working all the time.

gtalk2vip a really good alternative for calling almost everything ! Read the
faq here : http://gtalk2voip.com/faq.shtml

To start , you need a SIP client , any SIP client should work
(ekiga,gizmo,linphone……). You need a Voip account for this.
If you don't have a voip account configured , you can get free one from
gtalk2voip…..or if you use Ekiga, it will create one for you during the
first time wizard.
Once you have the voip account configure in your client , you can start
calling other IMs :

# GTalk: user at domain.com can be reached by calling to sip:user_at_domain.com
@gtalk.gtalk2voip.com
# MSN: user at domain.com can be reached by calling to sip:user_at_domain.com@
msn.gtalk2voip.com
# Yahoo: user at yahoo.com can be reached by calling to sip:user_at_yahoo.com@
yahoo.gtalk2voip.com
I tested it on GTalk ,MSN and the voice was very clear and quick….but it
didn't work with Yahoo Messenger for some reason.
Regarding Gizmo , last month I mentioned that the new version supports calls
to yahoo/msn/gtalk. Later , I found that it uses the same gtalk2voip
service. So it is not like they have done anything (except importing your
contacts).

Also u can try Empathy. It´s audio capabilities are awesome, it is only
working now with GTalk / Jabber protocols (at least for me), and I think
with SIP protocols it'll also work well.

Angel
GPG key: 0xC4639705
Bangladesh Linux Users Alliance
Fedora Ambassador Bangladesh