[ Ubuntu-BD ] xinit installation on Ubuntu Hardy Heron 8.04 Server Edition

Raihan Hasnain Rahman raihanhasnain at gmail.com
Sat Aug 2 16:14:48 BST 2008

Edit the sources list, for some reason server installation blocks the
main repositories.

Follow this,

sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list

unblock the first two sources. [just delete the '#' from the beginning
of the line]
I am extremely sorry, I do not have ubuntu here right now, can't tell
you the exact lines.

Well, then

sudo apt-get update

now your repository knows where's the ubuntu-desktop and other stuffs
are ... so install them!

use exactly these 4 things

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
sudo apt-get install gdm
sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start
sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

On reboot, you'll get a working ubuntu with gnome desktop.

Now, my suggestion is, download or manage a Ubuntu CD. The amount of
the packages you have to download, is almost around 250-300MB :|

Hope it helps. I did it before, it takes a long time to install. In
fact longer time than the standard installation, so keep patience.

Regards.