[ Ubuntu-BD ] My personal experience of Hardy Heron

Hasin Hayder countdraculla at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 03:20:28 BST 2008

Dear All

Thanks first to all the members for maintaining such a nice list.

I have migrated to Hardy Heron immediately after release and I am quite
happy that I did so. Basically I was having serious problem before I
migrated to Hardy, my filesystem crashed several times shown kernel panic
and I had to re install everything most of the time. And I have my home
folder mounted in a separate drive, so I didn't suffer data loss that much,
good god. But thats another story, let me share my experience of using
Hardy. It might seem my experience compared to both gutsy and hardy.

1. I am extremely happy with the blazing fast performance. I have installed
it using JFS and it works significantly smoother than it's siblings.
2. All my graphics card (ATI Radeon 1400) related issues are gone. I still
have to install the restricted driver but the point is that, Gutsy failed to
figure out correct resolution of my laptop and installing restricted driver
(xorg-driver-fglrx) was a must in Gutsy. Hardy successfully pointed out the
resolution of my laptop upto the limit (1440 by 900).
3. Though I installed restricted fglrx driver in gutsy, I was not able to
use the optimum 3D accelaration of my ATI card in it. Hardy is working
awesome with fglrx driver installed and I am using compiz fusion seamlessly.
I am using all the screenlets and playing most 3D games without any problem.
Compiz fusion was not working properly before in my machine while having
gutsy in it.
4. It detected my wifi card DELL BCM 4328 successfully while generating the
hardware report. But I have to install ndiswrapper and configure it properly
in Hardy to get it working. But gutsy never even detected my card at all.
5. Ubuntu splash was not working properly in my machine before installing
Hardy.
6. Hardy comes with OpenOffice 2.4 which is much much faster than 2.3/2.1 (I
forgot the exact version of OO that's shipped with gutsy)
7. As said already, 3D games are working upto the mark :D

*
Beside these, I am having some problems as well*
1. It comes with FF 3. beta 05. It crashes frequently. And I personally dont
like this version because most of my favorite extensions dont work in it.
So I am going back to FF 2 again.
2. While compiz enabled, I cant play 3D games due to some flicker
3. CrossOver is not working properly, dont know if it is a problem of Hardy
or not.

Thats it. In overall I am very very happy using Hardy.
--
Regards
Hasin Hayder