[ Ubuntu-BD ] Hello everyone?

Russell John russell at linux.org.bd
Sat Apr 26 17:48:00 BST 2008

Hi Ammar bhai, nice to hear from you.  Hope you're doing well.

You can try the same way you did it on Mandriva.  I'm describing the
process below, though I don't guarantee it to work.  Try it and let me
know if it worked or not.

1) Create a new directory where the ISO file will be mounted:
sudo mkdir /mnt/hardy

2) Let's mount it:
mount -t iso9660 -o ro,loop ubuntu-8.04-desktop-i386.iso /mnt/hardy

3) Now copy the kernel and initrd images from /mnt/hardy and copy them
to /boot (file names: vmlinuz and initrd.gz)

4) Now edit the bootloader. I'm assuming that you're using GRUB, but
if you use LILO, then let me know.
sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
or
sudo vi /boot/grub/menu.lst

Add the following:

title Hardy Install
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz
initrd (hd0,0)/boot/initrd.gz

5) Reboot your system and choose Hardy Install from the boot menu.

Let me know if it works or not.

- Russell