[ Ubuntu-BD ] Ankur's New Bangla GNU/Linux Distro (Hoimonti - হৈমন্তী) Released
itsjamil at gmail.com
Sun Oct 28 12:30:51 GMT 2007
We are glad to inform you that, 2nd installable Bangla distro based on
Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon)  has released. The codename of this
release is Hoimonti (হৈমন্তী). The first one, Sraboni (শ্রাবণী), was
based on Ubuntu 6.06 (Dapper Drake) .
Some new features over the default Gutsy installation:
* Customized Debian/Ubuntu Installer: It will take less inputs
then usual text installer
* After installation it will boot into Bangla locale (ie. bn_BD
locale) by default
* Some important software are included,
o Banshee - Audio Management and Playback application
o Gnash - free SWF movie player
o Gnome-PPP - modem internet connection tool for the GNOME Desktop
o GParted - GNOME partition editor
o Ogle - DVD player with support for DVD menus
o VLC Player - multimedia player and streamer
* Some codecs are included which will help to play various
audio/video files out of the box
* Some updated deb packages (ie. Mozilla Firefox 184.108.40.206)
* There might be some issues while installation if the CDROM is
old, DMA enable/desabled, S.M.A.R.T. enable/desabled for IDE channels.
* If you put IP address during installation but there is no
Internet connection, then it will take un-wanted delays cause it tries
to download some packages from the Internet.
* Internal modems might not work/be detected/need to download
* Gutsy itself has some issues which are mentioned in their
Release Notes .
* Let us know if you get any.
Please check, http://www.ankur.org.bd for more details.
More information about the ubuntu-bd