Ratifying a formal delegation

Robie Basak robie.basak at ubuntu.com
Wed Feb 9 19:33:48 UTC 2022

Dear Backporters Team,

Thank you for your work in restoring the team and a functional process,
and congratulations on your recent announcement on the reopening of the
backports pocket.

There is one thing I'd like to wrap up relating to the reboot please. In
my email that kicked this off
(https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2021-July/041559.html),
I had a section of text under the heading "Team Responsibilities"). Is
this text something you would be willing to accept as a formal
delegation from the Technical Board? If so, I'd like to next propose to
the TB that they ratify it as such.

Here's the text again, with one minor edit (s/defined/decided/) for
clarity, and I've also removed the last sentence because that's not
really an essential part of the description.

---8<---

 * Establish and manage an effective process to handle backport
   requests. Any review process must accept or reject every backport
   request on its technical merit, and be neutral to who is requesting
   it[1].

 * Maintain the backports pocket based on this process, making sure that
   all requests receive an appropriate answer in a reasonable amount of
   time.

 * Maintain quality in the backports pocket, where the definition of
   quality is driven by the team, but decided by consensus within the
   wider Ubuntu developer community.

 * Handle your own process reform and membership management, but making
   sure that any responsibility can be carried by any contributor who
   demonstrates the required capacity and competence.

---8<---

My motivation for requesting this is that I hope that with a more formal
delegation, then should the same situation arise again, it'd be less
painful to address that time.

Another currently relevant point is that this would make it clear that
the team will manage its own membership. We will need to see if the TB
concurs.

Thanks,

Robie