Backporting debhelper

Iain Lane laney at ubuntu.com
Sun May 5 20:22:34 UTC 2013

Hi backporters,

This comes out of a discussion in #-devel where it was noted that there
are loads of unofficial debhelper backports going around.

Can we figure out a way to do backports of debhelper sanely? The
standard policy obviously will not work, but it should be possible to
have some kind of exception given the stability that debhelper
historically (and somewhat necessarily) has.

We did it for hardy, apparently. Not sure what happened there. I expect
>= lucid to be the interesting targets. Apparently it backports pretty
cleanly, although I haven't tried myself yet.

Cheers,

--
Iain Lane                                  [ iain at orangesquash.org.uk ]
Debian Developer                                   [ laney at debian.org ]