Backports procedures updates

Evan Broder evan at ebroder.net
Tue May 29 05:40:47 UTC 2012

Hey guys -
   Some quick updates based on assorted recent discussions.

As we move to a world where archive admins use APIs instead of shell
access to do their job, it's no longer really necessary for them to be
processing backports. Colin has said that he is OK with us uploading
backports ourselves using backportpackage from ubuntu-dev-tools, and
you've probably noticed Iain and me doing this. For reference, here's
the invocation I would use if I was processing bug #1005372

  backportpackage -kevan at ebroder.net -d precise -s quantal -b -u
ubuntu -w ~/ubuntu/conky -c 1005372 conky

(Note that for multi-destination backports, you can specify -d multiple times)

These uploads will still land in UNAPPROVED and require AA review, but
hopefully it should be significantly easier for everyone.

I've made a few tweaks to backportpackage at Colin's request. It now
passes -v to debuild with the last published version number, which
matches archive admin-generated backports. It has a -c, --close flag
to mention an LP bug in the changelog, though the bug still has to be
closed by hand (since our bugs aren't part of the ubuntu project, and
backports uploads can't close bugs anyway). And I've changed the
version number style from ~precise1 to ~ubuntu12.04.1, which will make
our version numbers more future-proof when we run out of letters.

I don't think any of these changes have been included in a
ubuntu-dev-tools release yet. I've been using the u-d-t daily builds
(https://launchpad.net/~udt-developers/+archive/daily).

I'm planning to send an email to ubuntu-devel soon with some updates
on the backports project (including docs updates and assorted flow
changes), though I won't be offended if someone beats me to the punch.

- Evan