Opening backports pre-release

Evan Broder evan at ebroder.net
Mon Mar 5 21:05:10 UTC 2012

On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 7:05 PM, Evan Broder <evan at ebroder.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 2:11 PM, Evan Broder <evan at ebroder.net> wrote:
>>  - Component isolation. All packages in the backports pocket build
>> with all components enabled. This means that if we copy binaries to
>> x+1, we could be copying binaries built against packages from the
>> wrong component. It might make sense to only pocket copy source
>> packages into the x+1 release, instead of all packages.
[...]
>  * When the next release is opened for development, pre-release
> backports will be re-uploaded to the new release with their version
> number bumped for a rebuild (i.e. there will be no direct source or
> binary pocket copies)

Would the TB be OK with relaxing the requirement to implement
component isolation on the backports pocket? I feel like it's not
actually necessary given that we'll be rebuilding packages, so we'll
catch problems from component mismatches quickly at the start of the
release cycle. But on the flip side, it reduces the amount of work
necessary to backport packages that are affected by component
mismatches, which has always been the intent with backports.

- Evan