vlc backport

Dan 'Da Man' heymrdjd at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 14:56:44 UTC 2011

I attempted to perform a backport of vlc
1.1.5<http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/v/vlc/vlc_1.1.5-3ubuntu2.dsc>on
my Karmic machine using pbuilder, but the build failed due to unmet
dependencies. How can I configure pbuilder to use older dependencies or use
the dependencies already installed on my machine and not those in the base
tarball?  What method would backporters use to backport packages, i.e. do
they use their own machines to backport or is the building done via
Launchpad servers?  How can I debianize the source code and then use
pbuilder to build the package?