Unmet Dependencies for pbuilder-satisfydepends-dummy

Scott Lavender scottalavender at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 21:59:19 GMT 2009

I am attempting to backport several apps for Ubuntu Studio 8.04. This will
provide later versions of JACK and Ardour and also add fire wire driver
support via libffado.

While using prevu to build jack-audio-connection-kit-0.
116.1 pbuilder-satisfydepends-dummy has an unmet dependency of libcelt-dev.
I looked and 0.109.1 (which is in Hardy) does not include this library but
0.116.1 (which is in Jaunty) lists it for a build-depends.

I'm frighteningly new and ignorant to building packages (I've done it a few
times by hand for libffado and JACK but only for my machine) so I would like
some advice to avoid a dead end. Therefore I'm wondering what the best
approach would be to solve this problem.

I could build CELT with prevu first, but would this cause any problems for
the typical Ubuntu Studio Hardy user because CELT is not available for Hardy
in the repositories? Or would JACK just have additional capabilities that
Hardy users would not be able to use?

Should I remove the libcelt-dev from the build-depends in the control file?
Wouldn't I have to update the changelog and have a new version number for
the package?

Is there another, more subtle answer?

Thank you in advance.

P.S. I am aware that 8.04LTS will be supplanted by 10.04 in six months. But
I want to learn the backports now so that I can help maintain other LTS
versions in the future for the Ubuntu Studio dev group.

You can also reply to http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1302813