DNSMasq

Bill Aitken bill.aitken at prostrakan.com
Wed Mar 21 12:39:50 GMT 2007

Hi,

We have been experiencing a problem with dnsmasq, which we reported to
Simon Kelly.  In his response (below) he suggests that the bug has
already been corrected and has been available since version 2.26.  Can
this (or a later version) be included within the backports?

Simon Kelly's response to our problem:

Out-of-band, it turns out that this is Ubuntu 6.06 LTS and therefore
dnsmasq version 2.25. The changelog for dnsmasq 2.26 includes:

            Fixed crash when attempting to send a DHCP NAK to a host
            which believes it has a lease on an unknown
            network. Thanks to Lutz Pressler for the bug report and
            patch.

I'm 99% certain that this is the problem you are seeing. The martian
messages are a red-herring. DHCP messages from a host which believes it
is on another network are, by definition, martians. Most people don't
have the correct logging enabled to see those messages.

I guess the simplest solution is to upgrade dnsmasq, alternatively you
could file a bug with Ubuntu and have them backport the fix.

Regards

Bill

--
Bill Aitken