Panel discussion on Backports at Ubuntu Live?

Bradley M. Kuhn bkuhn at softwarefreedom.org
Sat Dec 29 03:24:46 GMT 2007

I'm not currently a contributor to the official Ubuntu backports projects,
but I have been an avid user of the official backports, and like many
Ubuntu administrators, I maintain my own backport tree as well for my
users.

I spoke last year at Ubuntu Live, and in-between sessions, a large group
of us began an impromptu and lively discussion in the hallway about
backports.  Primarily, we were discussing various strategies for handling
the trade-offs in managing the different goals that various user
communities have for backport repositories.  We also discussed ideas about
building networks of backport repository users and administrators.

The discussions were a bit pie-in-the-sky, but I think the issue of
backports is very important and worthy of formal discussion at the
conference.

I am planning to propose a panel discussion at this year's Ubuntu Live to
discuss the issues of backports.  My hope is that we can learn from each
other and the audience, and solidify ideas about how to handle the complex
world of backporting going forward, and also educate users about what is
available right now.  If anyone on this list would like to get involved,
please send me an email.
--

   -- bkuhn