Dapper Kernel Backports?

John Dong jdong at ubuntu.com
Fri Jun 23 11:21:10 BST 2006

I'd like to propose the idea (and thus discuss the implementation) of kernel
backports for Dapper.

Kernel 2.6.15 is already starting to get old for some users, citing new
drivers that require 2.6.16+ to build or a newer ALSA framework that fixes
problems with sound, the new Core Duo CPU scheduler, and so on.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=1172746 is a forum discussion
thread on this topic, and there are definitely those interested in such a
service.

As a result, for the users that would desire, I'd like to be able to  offer
a backported kernel from Edgy, complete with restricted modules for
ease-of-use. Requirements for this to succeed would be:

   - It must be optional -- A dist-upgrade should not automatically pull
   in backported kernels -- they are not always desired by users.
   - It must not conflict existing Dapper packages -- Restricted modules
   come to mind, as they build some non-kernel-specific packages (i.e.
   xorg-driver-fglrx) that will replace Dapper packages, thus breaking existing
   Dapper kernels
   - It should be bug-tracked/supported through the Backports project --
   That way, there is a separate but designated place to deal with issues that
   arise.

I don't care if the packages are blessed enough to enter dapper-backports
repositories (it may end up in a people.ubuntu.com setup possibly, I am
expecting), but it seems like the big piece of the puzzle is
linux-restricted-modules. After all, Ben Collins's daily kernel debs would
work just fine for a kernel.