USN-186-1 (mozilla, mozilla-firefox) updates broken on Hoary

Reinhard Tartler siretart at gmail.com
Sun Sep 25 11:43:57 CDT 2005

On 9/25/05, John Dong <john.dong at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/25/05, Reinhard Tartler <siretart at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 9/25/05, John Dong <john.dong at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > It certainly did happen, ogra. It's just that there are still a
> significant
> > > number of packages that didn't pass the more rigorous requirements
> imposed
> > > by the movement to official, and we still have to provide support for
> those
> > > in Hoary's world.
> >
> > Which more rigorous requirements?
>
>  Some packages were illegitimately backported along with libraries from
> Breezy (while others seemingly depended on gcc4), and it made sense at the
> time.
>
>  These are packages that I'm not interested in transitioning to official
> Hoary backports.

So you intend to have the old repository around for convinience
reasons, right? Then you really should make a clear statment on the
website about the status of these 'abandoned' packages, so that users
using your repositories know that they are left alone in case of
problems with those packages.

> > btw, on http://backports.ubuntuforums.org/ , there is
> still no word
> > about the official archive. Many people are out there and still using
> > that old archive, without even knowing that using them will cause
> > severe upgrade issues.
> Sorry; I haven't had the chance to update that information. I'll do so later
> today.

Thank you. I hope that backport users will read this and understand
the issues. There are quite often users coming around and asking
questions about the 'backports archive'. I was confused more than one
time about that.

>  As far as old archive having "severe upgrade issues", I disagree. I have
> personally made sure that there are no upgrade issues with these packages --
> they all upgrade cleanly to Breezy.

Err, I'm quite surprised that you dissagree. This thread started about
upgrade issues from our security team. The problems is, that the
backported packages must not make any troubles for our users.

In fact, you are in a very furtunate situation. Since the security
team now backported firefox even to warty, you can now easily remove
your backported packages and point users to the security archive.
There they will find officially supported and backported packages of
firefox. I really don't understand why you object to this proposal
Martin Pitt did in his original email.

--
regards,
    Reinhard