John Dong jdong at ubuntu.com
Wed Oct 26 06:32:08 CDT 2005

On 10/26/05, Sam Liddicott <sam at liddicott.com> wrote:

> First, I thank those responsible for their work in making backports
> available.
>
> I am one of the complainers that make this a sometimes thankless task.
>
> In the past I have asked about deb-src to backports and been informed
> that they are actually breezy sources. I think this is not always the
> case, as FreeNX is available for breezy only on breezy backports
> (thankyou), and no source.

Sources are not always derived from Breezy sources -- FreeNX is derived from
Kanotix.com <http://Kanotix.com> or
archive.kalyxo.org<http://archive.kalyxo.org>sources, whichever
matches up the version. In the future, we may actually be
deriving from Seveas's ubuntulinux.nl <http://ubuntulinux.nl> sources.

The reason we decided not to provide a source location is because for 99% of
the time, it's a waste of space and a duplication of effort. On our
(privately donated) servers, the last thing we'd like to do is waste space.

It's still legal by the GPL for me to provide sources by e-mail request,
though it isn't always the most convenient.

Any time that we actually modify the sources in any way, a patch will be
provided at http://ubuntubackports.org/ubp/sources/

Please could I respectfully suggest that backports src-deb are always