Distributing Java

John Dong jdong at ubuntu.com
Mon Oct 17 16:26:51 CDT 2005

On 10/17/05, Oliver Grawert <ogra at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> hi,
> Am Montag, den 17.10.2005, 16:21 -0400 schrieb John Dong:
> > BTW, Sun Java is being distributed by SuSE 10.0 and 9.3. Can we enter
> > such an agreement with Sun?
> sure yo can distribute java, thats not the point... we could even put it
> in main or on the CD, sun would kiss us if we'd do... but read the
> license... once you ship it, you arent able to ship any other java
> implementation (not even gcj, which is a part of gcc now) ...

Well, once again, SuSE's doing it :). They use GCJ 4.0, and ship Java with
GCJ in the same directory of the publicly distributed DVD/CD's. Not just
that, they also ship it online in the inst-source-java folder (which is a
_REALLY_ cheap way to circumvent that).

Wait a minute, does this mean as long as Breezy Extras doesn't ever package
GCJ/blackdown, I can upload a .deb there for Java? What about repackaging
rights?

ciao