Distributing Java

John Dong jdong at ubuntu.com
Mon Oct 17 16:16:22 CDT 2005

On 10/17/05, Stephan Hermann <sh at sourcecode.de> wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> Am Montag, den 17.10.2005, 16:21 -0400 schrieb John Dong:
>

> > The users needs to download the package themselves, because
> > sun
> > insists that the users sees the licence agreement. It is
> > therefore
> > perhaps not legal to redistribute a direct download link (I am
> > not a
> > lawyer, but better safe than sorry, imo)
> >
> > No, it's not, but it's legal to do it Gentoo's way, which is to have
> > the user download the .bin from Sun, tell Portage where it's located,
> > and then Portage works much like java-package, showing the license
> > agreement before unpacking and installing into the system.
>
> Where did you see that Gentoo is downloading automatically the java sdk?

I'm not saying it's automatically downloaded -- I said the user downloads
the .bin for Portage.

> And where did you see suns java in OpenSuse?

http://mirrors.kernel.org/opensuse/distribution/SL-10.0-OSS/inst-source-java/suse/i586/java-1_5_0-sun-1.5.0_03-2.i586.rpm

and 1.4.x, too. Those are full Java RPMS, different from Sun's official
ones, and do NOT present the Sun license during installation (unless it's
like buried 500 pages into the license agreement).

I can it see only in rpm backports server like
> packman.iu-bremen.de/suse/10.0/ <http://packman.iu-bremen.de/suse/10.0/>
>
> The buyable distro of Suse is different. SuSE Distribution is not
> entirely free to redistribute, which means, Sun JDK/JRE is not allowed
> to redistribute, which is why it is on a different CD.

But Novell offers the ENTIRE RETAIL ISO (binary identical to the retail box
minus tech support and paper manuals) for download via torrents and all SuSE
mirrors.

> Better then including Sun Java is to ask Azureus to use Blackdown.org<http://Blackdown.org>
> 's
> java.

True enough; I'll give up on Java packaging.