John Dong jdong at ubuntu.com
Tue Nov 1 14:35:30 CST 2005

Two interesting points have been brought up here about backporting:

(1) Upwards dependency spirals
(2) Unwanted (perhaps) changes for users -- Does the guy wanting a newer
Firefox welcome a brand new version of KDE?

IMO the official hoary-backports repository needs to be ultra-conservative,
making sure not to impact users negatively.

However, at the same time, unsafe foolish updating techniques are worse than
the Backports team working with various Ubuntu officials on producing
quality component updates.
----------------------
Here comes my opinion on the latter issue:
I believe that 6 months is sufficient turnaround on major component upgrades
-- Most people will not desire a brand new KDE or GNOME until the next
release of the OS. In addition, I believe large changes (like KDE
3.4->3.5or OOo
1.0->2.0) would cause significant upgrading issues that are not acceptable
in a stable release.

However, I do believe that some fixes in point releases should get
"backported" to stable releases. Each point release of KDE or GNOME
addresses countless bugs and side effects. If these can be isolated and
brought back to stable releases, that'd be great. Severe impediments in
functionality (such as Warty's Nautilus FTP client being completely
worthless) should be done via the -updates repository, and less important
changes should be brought in via hoary-backports.