backports web interface type thing...

Matthew Nicholson sjoeboo at sjoeboo.com
Tue Dec 27 00:09:46 GMT 2005

On Tue, 2005-12-27 at 00:30 +0100, Reinhard Tartler wrote:
> On 12/26/05, John Dong <jdong at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> > My vision for it:
> >
> >  Users enter a backport request into a web interface.
> >
> >  The request is quickly run through a set of rules (i.e. no libraries,
> > package blacklist), and then a build is done.
> >
> >  After the build, users can "pick up" their debs. Other users with the same
> > request will get the same debs (caching)
>
> I personally would have this step restricted. Currently, REVU doesn't
> offer any binary .debs at all, and I don't have urgent reasons to
> change that. Perhaps we can offer downloads of binaries to reviewers,
> okay. But I wouldn't like to offer these binaries to end users,
> because I don't want they to shoot themselves in the foot.

When i came up with this idea, I planned on, if .debs were available to
end users right away, they would be presented with at least one warning
(or some sort of "agreement") the user would have to get past before
they could download them. some sort of massive, bolded "Heres you
package, it might work, it might set your computer on fire. in either
case, its not our fault, your the one who asked for it to be built. if
you don't like this, stick to the REAL backports repository" to be re
worded, of course.

but of course, if the community/team think that they should no be made
available, then, so be it. i do not consider myself in a position to
deem what is acceptable and "safe"

i;m glad this idea has been met with the positive criticism i've seen
thus far. this once again proves to me just how great the ubuntu
community is compared to any other i have ever been involved with.

i hope everyone i having a great holiday period.

--
Matthew Nicholson <sjoeboo at sjoeboo.com>
sjoeboo.com