firefox 1.5

ulrich steffens ulrich at barfuss-jerusalem.org
Fri Dec 2 15:06:12 GMT 2005

Am Donnerstag, den 01.12.2005, 11:53 -0500 schrieb John Dong:
> It's still in consideration whether or not it'll happen. Right now,
> there's a forum sticky in which I'm documenting my progress towards
> doing it.
>
> Currently, around 50 source packages depend on firefox and will likely
> require rebuilding. In addition, whether or not security updates can
> be assured is unclear.
>
> I'm providing EXPERIMENTAL packages at
> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=125877&package_id=171041 for the impatient early testers. I'm uploading source packages too but that takes so damn long... (compiled with no modifications except changelog). Currently, the locale packages don't install anymore after doing this, and several programs (in the big list of apt-get rdepends) segfault without a rebuild.
>

> A Firefox 1.5 backport is certainly possible, but it'll be a struggle
> and a lot more thought is required before recklessly pushing the
> backport button :)
>
> On 12/1/05, Shot - Piotr Szotkowski <shot at hot.pl> wrote:
>         Hello.
>
>         ulrich steffens:
>
>         > since firefox 1.5 was released earlier this
>         > week, will there be a backport for firefox?
>
>         Most probably - no. There are too many components depending on
>         Firefox.
>
>         For example, I've rebuilt Dapper's 1.4.99+1.5rc3.dfsg-1ubuntu3
>         for my
>         Breezy install and Firefox works as a browser, but the System
>         | Help is
>         broken (most probably Yelp needs a rebuild against the new
>         firefox-dev).
>
>         Cheers,
>         -- Shot
>         --
thanks for the answers!
i'm not that much of a 'break my ubuntu' guy, so maybe I'll just stick
with a vmware-ubuntu and experiment a bit. fortunately there was a
german computermagazine which had a 1 year license for vmware featured
on one of the attached cds. should buy me enuogh time to test 1.5...

have a nice day

ulrich

--
ulrich steffens