Taper off Hoary, prepare Breezy...

John Dong john.dong at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 18:27:44 CDT 2005

We're about a month (a bit more) away from Breezy's release, which is
approximately when I stopped Warty Backports to concentrate on
infrastructure changes (and also channel some enthusiasts to beta testing).
I'm thinking we should do the same about now. Virtually everything important
in Hoary has been backported and is fairly up-to-date.

While we're on the subject of infrastructure, I think official Backports is
working out very well. Thanks, James & others for building the packages for
us, and thanks, Martin for stepping up to the plate for communications &
relations. With my busy schedule, I couldn't do it without you guys! The
only thing I'd like to bring some attention to is a "staging" area...

Matt, you once alluded (at the end of the Backports meeting) to plans for
implementing binary copies, the equivalent of our -staging tree. Does that
appear like it'd happen by the end of October? That'd be great to have,
since we don't have the resources to build packages for all architectures
for testing. We've seen cases (nvu is a good example) where a package works
fine on one architecture but crashes on another. Without a testing
repository, it's difficult to find these things out before they contaminate
our stable tree.

Also, to developers (forward to the appropriate contact): Can we get
breezy-backports lines in Breezy's default sources.list, only commented out
with a disclaimer (sort of like how Universe is there)? That way, users can
simply check a checkbox to activate Backports instead of using text editors
and cut & pasting long URL's.

Other than that, I think Backports is top-notch now. Together, we've made a
great distribution even better by offering high-quality version updates with
minimal stability problems.