Re: USB sticks used with ‘Startup Disk Creator’ not reusable?

Chris Guiver guiverc at gmail.com
Sun Jun 30 13:28:58 UTC 2024

G'day David

> Should a USB stick that was used with ‘Startup Disk Creator’ be able to
be reformatted for everyday read/write work again?

Yes, however USB thumb-drives are really just cheap media; built to a low
price without any error checking, and they fail.  I suspect your
thumb-drive has failed; even if not the whole device, enough of it that the
contents can no longer be changed.

There are some USB drives which can be triggered to be RO (Read Only), but
they are/were rare (more expensive) and usually have a somewhat disguised
button/slide that prevents writing if the slider is in the protect mode.
Your USB 'stick' could be one of these, but only someone seeing the device
will be able to tell you (and they weren't common, so aren't often
recognized)

The write of an ISO to a thumb-drive does cause the image itself to be
written as READ ONLY, but that is only to prevent corruption, and that RO
cannot prevent a reformat; as its purpose is only to protect the image from
CHANGE, nor erasure.

Again, I think your USB flash/thumb-drive is just faulty... I'm throwing
out 2-5 per year because they no longer can be trusted (I always DIFF or
confirm a write to thumb-drive is perfect before I trust it, and those
thumb-drives are failing my checks)  It's a cheap consumable media, and
every write to it can destroy it.

Chris g.