Installing distro iso images

Geoffrey Combes gcombes4 at bigpond.com
Thu Aug 17 01:15:53 UTC 2017

Recently I have downloaded Linus iso images and loaded them to storage
disks. The first was lubuntu to a TF card to be used with an OrangePi
One and the second, this week, ubuntu 17.04 to one of my desktop PC's
HDDs. I used the standard terminal command for this loading procedure.
For example, with the iso on the desktop the terminal command was: sudo
dd bs=4M if=~/Desktop/ubuntu-17.04-desktop-i386.iso of=/dev/sdb1

My PC confirmed that the operating systems were properly installed on
their respective storage media but neither would boot. For 17.04 my PC
gave a reason for not booting, viz. "isolinux.bin is missing', which is
not true as the file is in the iso. My question is: Have I left
something out in the installing procedure? Or any other suggestions.

By the way, my reason for obtaining the 17.04 image was to replace
16.04LTS which has developed a fault - both the Updating and Ubuntu
Software apps have stopped working (a first time event for me).  This
leaves me in a 'Catch 22' situation. As the 17.04 iso image won't boot I
have ordered a 32-bit disk from Peter Baker using the on-line source
ubuntu.net.au.

Geoffrey Combes