Re-verification

Joel Addison jaddi27 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 11:29:21 UTC 2015

> On 28 Oct 2015, at 4:37 AM, Ali Linx (amjjawad) <amjjawad at gmail.com> wrote:

No, not at the moment.

> Essentially while I see we have the solid background and resources our actual activity has dropped significantly over the last several cycles. While I believe there are significant numbers of Australians contributing greatly to the Ubuntu project in various ways I don't believe there is much advocacy work being carried out, which is what the LoCo is primarily used for [2].
>
> Why? I mean is it our fault? or it's just the users became more self-learner and they don't need any extra help? there must be a reason. Perhaps we all got busy with real life and that's why our activities dropped?!

The people who were most active have got busier, but there was also a drop off in activity in general. People have a lot more resources on the internet now, which also reduces the amount of assistance sought through things like the LoCo teams.

I also think computing in general has changed a lot over the past couple of years (take a look at the number of people using phones and tablets instead of traditional desktops and laptops now). This has lead to, in my opinion, less people seeking out alternative desktop operating systems because they just use other devices. At the same time, linux on servers is being used more and more with containers and other virtualisation platforms. All of this has changed the type and number of people who would participate in a LoCo group.

> If we are to accept that we will not be a verified team there would be no significant change to what we have done in the past. We will still have this mailing list, we will still have a website [3], we will still have the Launchpad team [4] and we will still have the IRC channel [5].
>
> That's good, IMHO.
>

> As described on the wiki page linked [1] the only benefit of being a verified team is an auto allocation of CDs and the ability to more easily obtain larger conference packs. While we have used these in the past I haven't had a request for either over the last 2 cycles so cannot see this greatly impacting on our team.
>
> Hmm, I see.

We retain all of our infrastructure for the team which is really good. We might not get CD packs, but I don’t think that is a big issue now - most people would download the ISO, or if they want they can use Peter’s wonderful Ubuntu disc service through http://ubuntu.net.au/ <http://ubuntu.net.au/> (thanks again Peter for running this!). The conference packs are nice for events, but we can still get them if we can demonstrate how we will use the packs and how they will help out with the event.

> So if anyone would like to seek re-verification please let us all know, if I don't hear anything in the next week I will assume the team is happy to let verification slip.
>
> I'm sorry for the late reply. I was about to say that I'm ready to step in and help but I gave it another thought and I did read the wiki page
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LoCoCouncil/TeamVerificationGuidelines <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LoCoCouncil/TeamVerificationGuidelines>
>
> I don't think we can do it as of now.

We don’t have enough activity to be verified at the moment. If people are really keen then the activity can increase and we can apply for verification again. We won’t do this unless we have sustained activity though, which we haven’t had over the last couple of years. There are still lots of things we can do, but we need to encourage more people to get involved.

> My question is: can we do that later? for example, if we can prove, after months for example, that we have activities and all ... can we apply anytime?! I don't think there is some kind of time frame for that, right? I think once a team meets the requirements, that team can apply, correct?

Yes, we can apply anytime.