Re-verification

Jared Norris jrnorris at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 08:22:52 UTC 2015

Good evening all,

I have been advised this week that we as a team are up for re-verification
shortly. However based upon my view I do not think we as a team would meet
the requirements [1] to be a verified LoCo. There was a lot of discussion
on the list last time this came up so wanted to put this out to the team
before accepting this fate.

Essentially while I see we have the solid background and resources our
actual activity has dropped significantly over the last several cycles.
While I believe there are significant numbers of Australians contributing
greatly to the Ubuntu project in various ways I don't believe there is much
advocacy work being carried out, which is what the LoCo is primarily used
for [2].

If we are to accept that we will not be a verified team there would be no
significant change to what we have done in the past. We will still have
this mailing list, we will still have a website [3], we will still have the
Launchpad team [4] and we will still have the IRC channel [5].

As described on the wiki page linked [1] the only benefit of being a
verified team is an auto allocation of CDs and the ability to more easily
obtain larger conference packs. While we have used these in the past I
haven't had a request for either over the last 2 cycles so cannot see this
greatly impacting on our team.

So if anyone would like to seek re-verification please let us all know, if
I don't hear anything in the next week I will assume the team is happy to
let verification slip.

As always, if anyone is interested in running some local events the team
and I are here to support you, just shoot the list an email.

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LoCoCouncil/TeamVerificationGuidelines
[2] http://loco.ubuntu.com/about-loco/
[3] http://ubuntu.org.au/
[4] https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-au