Files in /dev

Martin Visser martinvisser99 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 00:51:45 UTC 2014

David,

Ultimately the answer is in written in the annals history - it is the way
UNIX has always done it. Most of the /dev devices are just pointers to
something that may or not be there, and thus is easy to to when the kernel
is just booting. Probing hardware is hard, and even error prone. Obviously
plug-and-play and dynamic devices have come in a lot later.

And if it worries you can of course delete devices in /dev that you are
sure aren't going to be needed - but are you sure ;-)

Regards, Martin

MartinVisser99 at gmail.com