Software Updater

Geoffrey Combes gcombes4 at bigpond.com
Wed Jul 16 22:38:02 UTC 2014

This replies to Chris Robinson's advice of 16th July.
Thanks Chris, here is some more information.
Firstly, 1. I realised that, if I uninstalled Software Updater I would
not be able to re-install it, and
            2. When updating I can see that the downloading is
successful; it seems that it is the installation that is failing.
Observations:
I watched the 'details' while updating was in process. 'Reading the
database' reached 55% thereupon the error window appeared reporting
simply 'Package operation failed'.
When installing an application in Ubuntu Software Center 'details'
reported 100% success at extracting templates, then stepped through
'Reading the database' in 5% intervals, stopping after reaching 55%
thereupon the error window appeared reporting simply 'Package operation
failed' and reporting details concluding with 'Error in function'.
That is all the error information that I can glean.
14.04 has been operating perfectly many weeks since the PC's processor
heat sink and fan were replaced (it was blocked with fibre causing
frequent stoppage through high temperature).
Geoffrey Combes