Home server

Stephen Rees-Carter stephen at rees-carter.net
Sun Jan 13 20:45:32 UTC 2013

My home server is a HP ProLiant Microserver N40L, and it's a great little
box. It's not the fastest thing in the world (only dual core, and
officially only supports 8GB RAM), but mine is very reliable and handles
whatever I throw at it. I've got Ubuntu Server 12.04 running with no issues.

It's got a massive fan at the back, so you can hear it running, but it's
not loud and is easily ignored.

I thought HP had discontinued the product line, but they have recently
released a newer version with a better CPU, so depending on your
requirements you can get the cheaper (but slower) N40L, or the newer N54L:
N40L:
http://www.shoppingexpress.com.au/buy/hp-proliant-n40l-microserver-nas-658553-371/658553-371
N54L:
http://www.shoppingexpress.com.au/buy/hp-proliant-n54l-microserver-nas-712969-375/712969-375