live-CD environment, online banking

Jared Norris jrnorris at gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 05:02:05 UTC 2013

On 24 February 2013 08:19, David <agora at justemail.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> is Firefox in the live-CD environment ('try out Ubuntu') equally as
> secure for online banking as in a normal full installation?
>
> Thanks
>
> Dave

There are pro's and con's for security in using a LiveCD over a real
install. The fact that no malicious code can write itself to your CD
(assuming you're not using a USB with persistence) means you will
be unaffected by any malware or virus that requires installation. The
downside is you're locked in to the version of the program that was
available at release time, which usually means they're a little out of date
and might mean their less secure.

It really depends what your use case is and what requirements that has. I'm
not an expert just trying to give you some food for thought.

--
Regards,

Jared Norris
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/JaredNorris