PDF printing problem

Jared Norris jrnorris at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 08:12:44 UTC 2013

On 19 February 2013 16:25, Geoffrey Wilfred Combes <gcombes4 at bigpond.com>wrote:

> I am running 12.10LTS with an HP Photosmart 5520 printer.
> When I print from a PDF file, irrespective of its source, the print area
> is displaced upwards on the paper. As a result printing at the top of
> the printed area is partly or wholly missed. To print PDFs successfully
> I must do so with MS XP on another machine and a Canon printer.
> The HP prints LibreOffice files correctly.
> I do quite a bit of desktop publishing from PDF files which I produce in
> 12.10LTS but then I must move the files across to XP to print them. This
> is annoying.
> Printing previews are OK, but the printing is not and I can't find any
> way of adjusting for the error.
> Your help would be appreciated.
> Geoffrey Combes

I've had my fair share of PDF issues over the years. Whenever I've had
weird issues like this in the past I've usually done one of two things to
fix it. If it's a web based PDF make sure you download it to the hard drive
and open in a proper program (sometimes the browser based readers have
caused me problems). If it's already on the computer sometimes swapping
reader application helps, I've found Okular to be quick good but there are
a few in the repositories.

While I know this doesn't "fix" the issue it might help you get it to a
working state for now.

--
Regards,

Jared Norris