Lindsay Johnson

Jared Norris jrnorris at gmail.com
Sat Aug 31 03:16:24 UTC 2013

On 28 August 2013 17:21, <option40 at tpg.com.au> wrote:

> Jared,
>            I have had a female acquaintance approach me with major repeated
> security problems. (Taking over her email accounts and loading bad stuff on
> her computer.) I have suggested that Ubuntu may solve many of her problems,
> but my competence with computers is minimal. She has paid out hundreds of
> dollars to Windows technicians with minimal results. Can you suggest the
> name
> of anyone who is competent with both Ubuntu and Windows to advise and
> assist
> in a paid capacity, in setting up Ubuntu on her computer?
> Lindsay

Good afternoon,

Sorry to hear about the problems your friend is having. I personally am not
able to offer technical support either, I just don't have enough time to
make that work.

However I do have a suggestion that may involve no money to at least see if
it's going to work for her though. If you have a quick look at
http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/create-a-usb-stick-on-ubuntu it will
show a method to create a USB drive that your friend can boot off and try
it out. If you look at step 6 in that how to you will also see a slider bar
for how much information to store, my suggestion is to move that as far to
the right as it allows. This means if your friend uses this they can store
a little bit of data and it will be there when they reboot as well. That
way it sort of feels a bit more like a normal computer rather than a Live
USB.

If you're keen on having someone come out for money my only real suggestion
is to ask on the mailing list as I really don't know anyone in particular
that would be "perfect" for it but a lot that might be able to do what
you're looking for.

I hope that helps, sorry I couldn't' be more helpful.

--
Regards,

Jared Norris
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/JaredNorris